In 1955, Drs. George Alfson and Paul Kahl purchased the property and moved their existing veterinary practice to this site. The property included four separate buildings in a peach and apple orchard setting. One building was converted into a veterinary hospital. The others were an existing boarding kennel, a cattery (with outdoor runs) and an old farmhouse situated near where McDonalds now stands. 1970 the cattery was physically moved across the driveway to be “under one roof” with the existing dog kennel and the newly built hospital you see today.
In the 80’s during two different construction periods the old kennel/cattery was replaced with the present 15,000 square foot complex of today.
From 1955 until 1981, the kennel and hospital were both known as the Norwalk Veterinary Hospital. The Boarding House, Inc. became a separate corporate entity in 1981 and was owned by Dr. Donald Hartrick through 2006. In January 2007 the owners of the Norwalk Veterinary Hospital, Dr.’s Janice and Charles Duffy took over ownership of The Boarding House. They are committed to practice the same philosophy, offering a high-level service to the clients and care to the animals for many years to come.
The boarding and grooming facility of the 50’s has steadily evolved into a multiple-service animal care complex that includes boarding, grooming, doggie daycare, and a store carrying animal products and food. Combined with the Norwalk Veterinary Hospital it is one of the largest animal care complexes in the Northeast.